Friday, July 16, 2010

July 16 2010

It seems I can add "infidelity" to the growing list of themes in Novel 1. Maybe a better way to put it would be an all engrossing sense of self-worth that prohibits one from the most basic empathy, let alone the trust and comfort of a monogamous relationship.

What is it about the rich that makes that stereotype so often true? You know, the one about how "I've never met a rich man who didn't step on a poor man to get there"? In my line of work I've seen enough people who have lived for generations off of their pedigree, their father's money, connections made through secret societies. People who were born into lives of luxury and as a result have never had the need to count on someone or rely on anything other than their papa. If they've never needed anyone else how can we expect them to love someone else?

The novel's protagonist, having grown up without a father figure his entire life, is to be presented with two possible substitutes. As it so often happens these two have developed rather naturally into opposites of each other. One has always strived for spiritual happiness, and as a result is scorned for being a lout, while the other has wealth and success but is a cheater and morally bankrupt. It wasn't until after these characters had evolved that I realized they crawled out of the primordial soup that is my own subconcious. It's as though I cleaved myself in half. Lawyer v. Writer, extrovert v. introvert, rich v. poor... there I am on the page, in every supposedly original creation.

I say all this about the rich, about lawyers, about my boss specifically and yet I'm still here doing this job to the best of my abilities and accepting my bi-monthly paycheck. The pressure to leave intensifies. I've got to get out of here before the stench of this place takes hold of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment