Wednesday, August 11, 2010

8-11-10

I have two new roommates now, bless their hearts. Ethan and Lorin are shacking up in my "office" now, living in sin together and having tickle fights. It's been nice coming home to people again. After such a long period of living by myself, I sort of acclimated to the solitude, and in the process forgetting to feel alone. However, it will take some time for me to get used to them enough to where I can write comfortably. Their quiet voices and occasional music are nagging distractions.

I took the last week off with intentions to travel and write. Fate intervened in the form of my beat-up and broken down Toyota. I planned on trading it in, buckling down, and biting the bullet on a new car, but I couldn't find my car title. So in the end, I ended up staying in Chattanooga doing nothing for a week, which was in and of itself relaxing and more of a vacation than I could've hoped for. It was fortuitous, as it enabled me to help Lorin and Ethan move, and allowed me to catch up on some much needed reading.

As for the writing process, I did a third wave of revisions on the early chapters and worked a bit on some chapters involving the "second" protagonist. Not as much as I hoped. Whenever I set aside extra time for writing it rarely leads to increased productivity. Lately I have been feeling the pressure to get to finishing a draft of the entire thing - I would like to have people read this before they die or grow senile, after all.

I think I'm coming down with something. It's either from Lorin's moldy couch or some bug one of them has. I'm going to try and kill it with Sudafed and exercise.

3 comments:

  1. i'm sorry i just now got around to reading this. i do look forward to reading your writing, your humor and wit is always appreciated. i would very much like to read this mysterious novel or novella or manifesto or whatever it is that you've secretly been working on for so long before i'm senile or dead. i imagine that it would be a bit more difficult to read if i was dead... and at this point, senility sounds pretty fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a love/hate relationship with my roommates. I can't ever write anything without my headphones on. But anyways, stumbled across your blog. Liked what I saw.

    ReplyDelete